The purpose of the Altar and Rosary Society is to share our love of God and devotion to Mary, His Mother, and to work for the proper care and adornment of the Altar. Besides taking care of the daily needs of upkeep and maintenance of the altar, we also take care of the sacristy and all it’s contents. Our labors are indeed labors of love for the Lord.
The ARS is made up of guilds (groups of parishioners) who meet monthly to pray the rosary and take turns in cleaning and assisting in the care of the Sacristy and Altar. There are currently 8 Guilds in the Altar and Rosary Society.
What we do
As an individual group, we choose a prefect or group representative of our own and make plans for prayerful action. The general meeting of the Society Board meets once a month. Each prefect informs her guild of the schedule to clean the Altar and Sanctuary as well as upcoming events. Both men and women exchange roles and job assignments which include:
• Sanctuary: general upkeep and cleaning of the altar and Sacred vessels.
• Sacristy: replacing altar cloths and linen as required,
• Holy Water Fonts: clean and re-fill fonts with Holy Water
In March of 1921, Father Michael Egan organized St. Rose of Lima parish and moved the church building from Palm City to the corner of Third Avenue and Alvarado Street in Chula Vista. A group of women parishioners, originally called the Altar Society, began working together to clean and decorate the altar area, and take care of linen, candles and flowers. They also held card parties and bake sales to raise money for many of the parish needs. When Father Michael Brown became pastor of St. Rose of Lima in 1939, the Altar Society became known as the Altar and Rosary Society.
• Mystical Rose: meets 4th Thursdays at 1:00 PM. Mary K.: 934-2421
• St. Teresa of Avila: meets 2nd Tue. @ 8:00 AM Carol F.: 479-8515
• Blessed Mother: meets 3rd Mon. @ 9:30 AM Gloria B. 422-5535
• Our Lady of Lourdes: meets 1st Tues @8:00 AM Linda R. :829-9965
• Madonna of the Streets: meets 2nd Tuesday @ 7:00PM Ellen S.: 427-4549
• Our Lady of Fatima: meets 4th Tue @ 8:00 AM Mass Pam B.:216-8576
• Our Lady of Mt. Carmel: meets 2nd Tuesday @ 8:30 AM Vi M :421-0449
• Mother of Perpetual Help: meets 3rd Fri. @ 7:00PM Caludia O.: 498-3891
President: Linda Pitpit 482-3003
1st VP: Charlotte Moreno 426-7173
2nd VP: Ellen Saffer 427-4549
Secretary: Gloria Bach 422-5535
Treasurer: Ruth Judge 422.0761
Installation: Pam Brooks 216-8576
PSC Rep: Silvia Harrington 565-2649